Saturday, May 26, 2012

Becoming a shut in...My son's summer dream.

Ah summer! Thank goodness school is over. No more waking up grumpy children, or rushing around in the morning,trying to make lunches, getting dressed, finding backpacks and getting in the car all by 7:30am.
But wait. Summer means NOT having to go anywhere. This can be a good thing, for a while.... But with us it very quickly turns into a problem. My boy, when allowed to, will stay inside this house till the end of time. Once a routine is established it must be adhered to, even if you didn't intend on having that behavior be a "routine"!
So what do I do? This summer I have some very specific things I want to accomplish. I want my son to learn how to be a friend....I want him to learn that it is not okay to climb the tree in the back yard and stare at the neighbors.( hang on I need to yell at my son to get out of the tree)
I want him to learn to be more flexible when things don't go his way. While I'm listing my dreams of summer I might as well add that I want my body to return to its 20 year old glory.
Most of my wish list will not come true.... But seriously I do want Ben to learn the art of friendship. This means I am going to have to allow other children to come over. I'm going to have to stop being so uncomfortable when he is talking to someone.
I think I have said all of this before. Since then I have not made much improvement. I guess I fight change as much as he does!

No comments:

Post a Comment